An oldie but a goodie..

3 Years ago 3 single friends and I were looking for a place to 'drown our sorrows' / probably have a nicer time than we usually would, on Valentines day. It seems like Valentines day is an excuse for restaurants and cafe's alike to hike up the prices to try and ensnare unsuspecting boyfriends/fiances/husbands who are all in a panic having left it too late and there's nothing left at their usual haunts.  

This meant our search spread further than the usual places we'd visit in town. We came across Fothergills, we'd never heard of it, and subsequently i've found out there aren't many people who have. But we booked ourselves in for the 3 course Valentines menu and had a truly lovely time. 

I've since been back a few times, once with the same girls for an impromptu dinner and once with my Dad for a more laid back lunch. 



Pork Belly, the girls said it was fantastic, I'm not a one for crackling but it doesn't look 'alf bad!


Dressed Crab Salad, the crab was fantastic, left me feeling a lot fuller than I expected, never a bad thing!

The strange thing I found about Fothergills is how different the atmosphere can be each time you visit. On going with my Dad it felt extremely laid back, there was a very 'pub-esq' feel to lunch which although was nice and appropriate for the occasion I think had I been going for a slightly nicer lunch out with family it may have been a bit disappointing. 

It's very quiet during the day though, and by quiet I don't mean empty, it's just quite a nice place to chat with not too much noise or hustle and bustle that you do sometimes get in another favourite of mine 'Brown's'. Perfect for my hard of hearing Dad it has to be said!



I can't remember the exact name of this dish, it looks like a 'Hunter's Chicken' the mushy peas a really nice touch


Here he is having his Chicken and Ham Hock pie. No complains from Dad camp 
I really love the exposed brick in the background here


 Tackling dessert of course!
Warm Chocolate Brownie for Dad


Quite a lot of attention to detail with the snazzy sugar structures


And ice cream for me. I think this particular day they had some fabulous flavours so I couldn't really say no. 

It has to be said, for a change of scenery Fothergills is somewhere you should try. It is a really nice place to go for Valentines day (cheeky reminder to the boys!) but sometimes feels a little less 'smart' than you expect during the day. 


Valentines evening table



It's in a really nice part of town, with really lovely architecture; right opposite the Robin Hood statue in the shadow of the castle and is very welcoming to those just looking for a pint or a cup of coffee.

At the moment they're doing a 2 course lunch for £10.90, it'd be a shame to miss out!


No comments:

Post a Comment