My favourite sort of Saturday morning...Crepes and tea

I've wanted to write about Aubrey's for so long now, but I was lacking good photos, I would not be able to do the incredible crepes at Aubrey's justice without photographic evidence so it has taken me a while 



Last weekend I arranged with a good friend, C, to have a breakfast date (this subsequently ended up being a shopping trip and afternoon coffee but we weren't to know!). Not knowing whether we wanted savoury or sweet, formal dining or a cafe esq morning we agreed to go for a crepe at a place we've both visited before .





Aubrey's Traditional Creperie is a small quaint little cafe, up a small arcade opposite Las Iguanas on Long Row. I wouldn't have found this place had I not been told about it four years ago when someone took the time to give me detailed instructions on how to find it! The scavanger hunt I think adds to the joy when you find the wooden table and chairs with gorgeous tartan blankets draped over outside the window.


Aubrey's provides gluten free and dairy free crepes, this is one of the major factors that brings me back again and again. You honestly cannot tell there's a gluten free option, my friends often have a bite of mine (usually because I make great decisions!) and they say there's barely any difference in the taste or texture of the crepe. 




Available is a vast choice of savoury galettes and sweet crepes, I try to limit the number of times I visit and this often means that every time I go they've got a new addition to the menu. This being said the lovely lady behind the counter did recognise me and remember my gluten free order this time so maybe my budget related plan hasn't been so successful. 




I had flaked almonds with vanilla ice cream, poached pears and chocolate sauce (£4.95) It was TERRIFIC, I find it's always quite a big portion but given that Aubrey's doesn't open until 10am it's usually just right and I definitely wouldn't have it any other way. C had caramelised apples, creme fraiche, cinnamon and honey which looked fabulous. We also shared a pot of tea, loose leaf english breakfast of course. 





The lovely thing about Aubrey's is you can just sit and chat with no pressure to leave, they're incredibly welcoming, table service and fantastic food. 





I have to mention the savoury galettes, we didn't indulge this time but I can say they're absolutely marvellous. This time they're all gluten free as they use a different sort of batter and have many vegetarian options. 




The only negative I can possibly find is that having sat there for an hour/an hour and a half you do have a lingering smell of oil on your clothes and in your hair. This is obviously unavoidable as it's such a small little cafe with limited ventilation, I've seen it mentioned on tripadvisor and friends have commented but for me, it's worth smelling a little bit like a frying pan for the joy that is a trip to Aubreys!

Definitely a must try! 

No comments:

Post a Comment